Room climate – Cosiness – Comfort – Indoor air quality
Room climate is an essential factor when it comes to use of interior spaces. It influences the feeling of well-being, the ability to concentrate, be creative, and as a consequence, the productivity in commercially used buildings as well. A building should offer its users the most comfortable atmosphere possible.
DIN EN 15251 is the pertinent technical body of rules for the room climate related properties of a building, which are subsumed under the term "Indoor air quality". The terms «Cosiness» and «Comfort» are also used synonymously. The following diagram shows the most important parameters influencing the indoor air quality according to DIN EN 15251:
BU: Essential parameters of indoor air quality
More and more frequently, users are complaining about disturbance of comfort or restricted sense of well-being after having bought a newly erected or refurbished building. It is often difficult for the building operator to distinguish between an unjustified case of hyper-sensitivity or a serious comfort problem. With objective measurements of the individual comfort parameters, Müller-BBM offers an alternative to a purely subjective estimate, providing you with well-founded decision-making criteria.
Müller-BBM can carry out measurements of all four essential factors influencing indoor air quality, and classify and evaluate these results:
- Thermal comfort, e.g. operative temperature, PMV index, occurrence of draughts, vertical temperature layering, and radiation asymmetry (cf. DIN EN ISO 7730),
- Visual comfort, e.g. daylight, artificial lighting, glare, exposure to sunlight/solar shading, and colour reflection (cf. DIN 5034),
- Acoustical comfort, e.g. noise or sound pressure level, reverberation time, and speech intelligibility (cf. DIN 18041) as well as
- Air hygiene related comfort/air quality, e.g. "poor air quality" or insufficient fresh air supply, and harmful substances in the room air (cf. DIN EN 15251).
A detailed description of the individual measurement options can be found in the Comfort Measurements overview.
In the event where our measurements actually reveal a problem with the comfort level, we can advise you in determining the causes of the disturbance and when selecting suitable counter-measures.
The period of measurement of thermal comfort depends on the objective; basically, a distinction is made between
- exploratory measurements carried out for objective clarification as to whether and possibly which sources of disturbance to comfort are present, and
- standardised measurements carried out for establishing a strong basis in the event of a legal dispute for instance.
One measurement day is normally sufficient for exploratory measurements, as long as suitable external conditions prevail.
[Translate to English:] Normgerechte Messung
[Translate to English:] Die normgerechte Messung nach DIN EN 15251 erstreckt sich über mindestens zehn Tage und mehrere Räume, damit die Ergebnisse als repräsentativ anerkannt werden.
Die Messdauer zur Ermittlung der visuellen, akustischen und lufthygienischen Behaglichkeit stimmen wir im Vorfeld mit Ihnen ab.