Odours – Measurement, Prediction, Advice
Apart from the full spectrum natural odours in the environment, commercial and industrial plants as well as agricultural activities also lead to odour emissions. Depending on frequency and type, they can be a source of nuisance to the neighbourhood.
With the help of odour emission and dispersion measurements, Müller-BBM can determine the emission concentrations of emitters and the frequency of odour immissions in the neighbourhood. Based on the results in connection with the respective standards such as the GIRL (German odour immission guideline) we can assess whether immission limits can be met or will be exceeded and whether plants meet the requirements of the state of the art. In addition or alternatively, Müller-BBM, as an accredited and notified measurement body according to § 29b of the Federal Pollution Control Act, can carry out odour immission measurements to determine the frequency of odour immissions and assess their intensity and hedonic.
We can advise you on building and immissions control licensing of your plants and can elaborate emission predictions based on our experience with measurements. We calculate the resulting odour immission frequencies in the plant surroundings with dispersion models compliant with the TA Luft and the GIRL.
Adapted on a case-by-case basis, we support the cause analysis of odour emissions, the elaboration of measures for reducing odour emissions and immissions and determine the origin of odour nuisances in case of complaints. We also support urban land use planning among other topics.
Our services in the field of odour emissions and immissions include:
- execution of emission measurements (notified body according to § 29b of the Federal Pollution Control Act (BImSchG)
- execution of immission measurements (notified body according to § 29b of the Federal Pollution Control Act (BImSchG)
- execution of stack height calculations according to the GIRL (odour immission directive) and the TA Luft
- execution of dispersion calculations (if required also with cold air and prognostic wind field models
- determination of minimum distances to the neighbouring residential areaelaboration and check of emission inventories
- elaboration and check of pollution reducing conceptsassessment of the plants‘ state of the art to avoid negative effects of odour emissions
- determination of the efficiency factor of odour reducing facilitiesdetermination of odour thresholds of charge materials or products
- determination of the odour emission potential of process or waste waterdetermination of the impact potential of odour emissions on the immissions side
- determination and assessment of odours indoors